Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvaster - Review



I've decided to combine my Waiting for Wednesday post (hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine) with my review of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Because if there is a book to wait for, to pine for, it's this book.

I turned to Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater’s second novel, with a frisson of excitement. I loved Lament, cheered for it, sold it, talked about it, promoted it. And this is far, far from any werewolf tale I’ve ever read - no changes as the full moon approaches, no silver bullets, but a peek into another world, which is dangerous, different, and utterly enchanting.

Sam lives part of every year as a wolf – in the winter. As it gets warmer, he turns back into a human. As he gets older, however, he stays human for less and less time. Eventually he will remain a wolf. But in both forms he watches Grace, the girl who sits on her swing and returns his gaze, who does not understand why she’s filled with a longing for what she sees as “her” yellow-eyed wolf. But when Sam is shot he’s forced back into human form and turns to Grace for help. The gap has been broached and now they can get to know each other until, of course, they fall into each other's arms. But their time together is so short. And the question then becomes: what are they willing to do for the chance of more time together?

Told by her two main characters in alternating chapters, you get to understand both of them, root for them, and sense their growing attachment to each other. Occasionally you fall into a book, fall in love, and find it hard to come back. This is such a book. It’s a romance to remember, to savor – perfect, poetic, passionate, intense, all encompassing, and, naturally, heartbreaking. Shiver with the excitement of such a find. Fall under its spell – I did.

Maggie Stiefvater is a rising star in the world of teen literature. I just wish she could write faster!

9 comments:

Thao said...

I'm so jealous you got to read and review Shiver already. The book sounds cooler than I expected. I have to get my hands on it soon.

Megan Kurashige said...

Am also jealous. Have been collecting werewolf stories because I'm planning one of my own. Will add this to the list.

Nancy said...

Oh a fantastic review. I cannot wait to read this amazing book

Lenore Appelhans said...

I'm not a big reader of romance, but I am somehow drawn to the doomed ones. If you are too, you might like Cyn Balog's FAIRY TALE which I just finished (review this Monday).

Vanessa said...

Thanks for stopping by my review. I'll add a link to yours.

Heidi R. Kling said...

What a lovely review! I just read the print review in Kepler's Indie Reader and forwarded it on to Maggie to make sure she saw it! =))

Barbara Bell said...

I love that there is someone who loved Shiver as much as I did! What a complete and utter love story!

I can't wait for books 2 and 3...and movies-to-be-made...oh my!

Unknown said...

Shiver will be enjoyed by all teen readers, particularly fans of Sea Change by Aimee Friedman, Evermore by Alyson Noël, Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange both by Melissa Marr, Need by Carrie Jones, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I can't wait to read Stiefvater's other novels, Lament and Ballad, and whatever else she has to come.
View this site for New Zealand Green Kiwi fruit information

Website said...

If you're looking for something fun and light to read, keep looking. If you are looking for a great story that might make you uncomfortable and will definitely make you think, pick up Shiver. And be prepared for something totally different from most YA books out there.