Friday, August 15, 2008

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



Once is a while a book comes along that is SO good that you want to talk about it to everyone. It's not out until the end of the month but I wanted to tell you to look for it. I was hooked from page 1 because it really is a remarkable book -- part gladiator-like adventure, part romance, part survival story, part political commentary. It asks the question: How far would you really go to survive?

16-year-old Katniss lives in District 12 of Panem and is chosen to represent her district in the Hunger Games, a televised reality show where two representatives from the 12 districts, ages 12-18, fight to the death. But survival at what cost? What do you have to give up? And what do you do when a contestant claims to have been in love with you since you were 5 years old? The only trouble will be waiting for the sequel!

8 comments:

Shipboard Librarian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shipboard Librarian said...

I have to so completely agree with this recommendation. One thing I would add is a general "Warning: This book is not for the weak of heart."

For being targeted at a YA audience, this book is surprisingly brutal (in a good way). There is violence, murder, betrayal, and everything else inherent in a gladiatorial fight to the death. That said, "The Hunger Games" was absolutely riveting. Collins does not pull any punches in saving beloved characters from horror and pain, and she also occasionally pulls the rug out from under your feet. In true series preparation the ending ends on a cliffhanger, making me drool for book number two...

Kait said...

I just finished this book yesterday. I thought it was absolutely amazing. I really felt connected with Katniss & Peeta. I can't wait for the sequel!

Twilight Fanatic said...

I have just finished this book, and I loved it. I am a Twilght fan but this is a great book, and I was really angry with the cliff hanger at the end. I was surprised at the thought that entered my mind how far would I go to stay alive?Or, how far would I go to keep someone I loved alive? I imagine killing someone now a days would have a lager impact on your life then it would in this book. The question is, if I loved someone so much could I willingly die for them? I am left to ponder these unanswered questions, as with the thought what will happen next.

Anonymous said...

This book was so amazing!!! I read the recommendation on Stephenie Meyer's website (yes, im a huge twilight fan) and i just had to check it out becuz i knew tht anything she recommended would be wonderful and sure enough it was. I cant stop telling people about! It's like reliving the Twilight rush all over again!Oh and just wanted to say that I'm not an anyway saying that this is better then Twilight. I love the books equally.

Anonymous said...

this book was sooo fantastic. I can't wait for the sequel

Anonymous said...

yeah I also got the recocmendation from Stephenie Meyer's site...because yes I am a big twilight fan. but I loved this book. I really think it'd be hard to do that tho... I too can't wait for the sequal!

Morgan said...

This is my ultimate favortie book of all time. I love it--I dont know what i would do without suzanne collins!