Saturday, January 9, 2010

And Another Thing...by Eoin Colfer - Review

I admit it – I’ve been a fan of the late, great Douglas Adams’ phenomenally successful Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series since I first read them and was worried at the thought of someone else writing a sequel. But Eoin Colfer is one of the funniest men on the planet, so I shelved my reservations and was delighted to find that this 6th novel in the ever-more increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy trilogy was right on target.

In an effort to achieve enlightenment through the pursuit of towels, liberty, and a nice cup of tea, Eoin has brought back Arthur Dent, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillion, and Random Dent for another adventure where, right after the end of Mostly Harmless, the Earth is once again about to be destroyed by Vogons - even if one of these Vogons may indeed have a conscience.

Colfer has very much kept the spirit of Adams but put his own stamp on this sequel. So we find Trillion in love with an immortal green alien who is touring the galaxy insulting people in alphabetical order, a planet interviewing various unemployed gods, a very large slab of cheese, and an irritating computer in love with Thor. I could tell you that the story revolves around the alien, Wowbagger, and his attempts to die. And Zaphod tries to persuade Thor to kill Wowbagger, while Arthur argues with Random, and Wowbagger falls in love with Trillian. But all I really need say is DON’T PANIC. Arthur Dent is hitchhiking through the galaxy again and you won’t find a funnier tale with which to start the year.

I've mentioned my literary crush on Eoin before - yes? So here he is talking about this book (video by Kepler's very talented John Ray):

No comments: