Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - Review


Because it came out today I'm reposting my review because this is a book I've been waiting for and am delighted I can now start putting it into readers' eager hands.

Mary lives in a world bound by fences, with rules dictated by the Sisters, surrounded by the Unconsecrated, who are an ever-present, ever-encroaching, horrifying threat. Her mother dreamed about the ocean, and Mary holds on to this dream, despite everything. But she finds out the Sisters are keeping secrets. When the fences are breached, Mary has to decide how much she will sacrifice to follow her dream. Will she be able to choose between the brother she is betrothed to and the brother she loves? Between her village and a dream of an outside world?

This is a wonderful, compulsive, nail-biter of a book that will keep you reading late into the night (but with the lights on!) Not for the feint-hearted, this story about a zombie apocalypse asks questions that will haunt you. Still haunts me.

This is one not to miss. Oh, I hope there will be a sequel.

And you can see where I fall on the age-old question: zombies or unicorns!

6 comments:

Amy said...

there better be a sequel.
i love this book already:) great review...
-amy

Bookgeek said...

Thanks. I did hear there would be a sequel. But seeing as it only came out today, the wait will seem endless!

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a plan for a sequel coming out in 2010. I'm truly hoping that this new one will answer some of the questions that are left lingering at the end of the first one. :D

Anonymous said...

I came so close to getting this one and backed off because I couldn't remember if the book reviews had been good or not. Next time, my answer will be yes! ;) Hope there will be a next time now...lol!

Nancy said...

I am eager for the sequel. I believe that this book was beautifully written and it dealt with very harsh subject matter. Mary seemed selfish at times, but I had to admire her spirit in her quest.

Bookgeek said...

I want to see how she'll tie up all those loose ends.