Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Am Number 4 by Pittacus Lore - Review

Imagine seeing your world destroyed, your people fighting for their very existence and losing, and being one of nine children sent on a ship to safety with your guardians, knowing that the soldiers who destroyed your planet will keep hunting for you until you are no more.

So you move constantly, trying to blend in wherever you go, trying not to show how powerful you are, how fast. You train. You don’t make close friends. And you wait for your legacy to show itself.

This is the story of Number 4 (John Smith), whose planet, Lorien, was destroyed and who escaped with eight others. They can only be killed in order and the first three are dead. Now they are coming for him. But John has made his first real friend, has fallen in love, and does not want to leave. He knows, however, that the Mogadorians will not stop until all nine of them are dead.

A fast-paced page turner, this novel kept me transfixed right to the end, kept me up at night, and pulled at my heart. And if aliens do walk among us, let them all be like Number 4.

2 comments:

Pam Pho said...

I need to get to this one. I have it on my TBR.

Bookgeek said...

Loved it. Really well done. If I was James Frey I would want my name on it.