Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Review

I’ll admit it: I’m a bit obsessed with The Hunger Games. It’s the book I put into everyone’s hands, the book I think everyone should read, the standard I hold other teen books up against. The wait to read Mockingjay has been torturous. What happens to Katniss Everdeen after she is snatched out of the arena? Will she rescue Peeta? Will she lead the revolt? Will she survive? How will she choose between Peeta and
Gale? She survived the Hunger Games twice, but the cost was so high. She’s not safe anywhere and nor is anyone else associated with her.

This has to be the most anticipated book of the year and it certainly does not disappoint. Suzanne Collins has written THE perfect ending to a series that kept me up all night, gripping the edge of my chair, at times unable to breathe. I moved through the plot with Katniss, shouted at her, cheered for her, cried with her, gasped at shocking twists, ruminated on war and whether it is ever justified, whether the ends ever justify the means. But never, never did my attention wander. There are no easy answers, no facile solutions. This is an all-action, politically-charged, bloody, heartbreaking rollercoaster of a book that I shall read again and again (when my heart has calmed a little). All I can say is: thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reading now. heartbreaking