Friday, May 13, 2011

I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan - Review

Blogger has been down for a few days so I thought I'd make up for it with a review from Amanda, who really loved this book. (I'm reading Cloaked by Alex Flinn BTW...)

Sam and Riddle have been on their own for a long time. Sure, they lived with their dad, in dozens and dozens of towns, always just one step ahead of the law, but he didn't take care of them, let alone enroll them in school. The important thing was that they got by, even as they faded into the background and were left alone. Sam looks forward to Sundays when he can slip into the backs of churches and listen to the music unnoticed. Which is why it is so startling to have the girl in the front of this church
look right at him while she sings. It doesn't make any sense.

Emily had a perfectly fine life: a lovely home, caring parents, no major bumps in the road. She takes interest in other people and believes in destiny. So during her church solo on Sunday, she sings to the boy in the back row and it all makes sense. I loved this book! I loved the characters - their voices, their honesty. Rich in humor, subtlety, and suspense, I'll Be There is certainly a book worth falling for.


Reviewed by Amanda

No comments: