Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantasky


I’ll start by admitting that I picked this book up simply because of the title (and the cover), which are hard to resist, don’t you think? So glad I did!

Jessica is a Pennsylvania teen who is good at math and is sighing wistfully over high school wrestler, Jake. But things change (oh, do they change) when Lucius Vladescu arrives on her doorstep from Romania claiming he is a vampire prince, destined to marry her, a union that will bring peace between two warring vampire clans. In fact, the promise of this marriage is the only thing that has kept a tentative peace for all these years. Did I mention that he claims she is really a vampire princess who was smuggled out of the country when her parents were being chased by an angry mob to keep her safe? And that her parents signed a pact declaring she would marry Lucius, the enemy clan prince, when she turned 18 to bring peace between thee clans. Of course Lucius is everything he should be, dark, brooding and gorgeous — but also arrogant, overbearing, and Jessica finds him incredibly annoying. And, equally naturally, Jessica doesn’t believe a word Lucius tells her. Who would? (OK, she knew she was adopted but vampires? Please!).

Lucius brings Jessica a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions to help in her transition (full of tips lke, “just remember, girls: The young vampire is a predator by nature. Some boys may look at you not only as a romantic interest, but as prey!”). But just at the point when she thinks life with Lucius is what she really wants, not the nice, safe, relationship Jake could offer, Lucius changes his mind and starts dating Faith, the blonde, star cheerleader. How confusing is that? So now Jessica has to choose to fight for Lucius (if she really wants him), try to stop a vampire war (which apparently would decimate her clan), and try to save Lucius from himself.

There are many twists along the way, and the author (can she really be called Fantaskey?) manages to keep you guessing right to the end. A great addition to the ever-growing teen paranormal genre.

14 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really want to read this one as well! I recently heard about it and it just sounds like good fun. I'm really big on the paranomral books as well. :)

-Lauren

Nancy said...

Yeah!
This novel sounds amazing, and you know I am always on the look out for some new reading material. My godchild is benifiting greatly from my reading obsession.

Bookgeek said...

I'm currently into paranormal and fantasy literature too, as you can tell by my reviews. This one was really fun. Need was fabulous too (due out next week I believe). I'm waiting for Wondrous Strange, as we didn't seem to get an arc for it at the store!

Nancy said...

I have read about Wonderous Strange on another YA blog and this novel seems reminiscent of Wiked Lovely, which I love. So, I will have to give it a try. More to add to my never ending pile

Bookgeek said...

Both Need and Wondrous Strange are now in the store! I started Wondrous Strange as soon as I saw it--really! Will let you know (it's good so far...)

Nancy said...

Ohhhhh!!! please let me know.

Bookgeek said...

It's fabulous -- different from many of the books about the fae because of the theatrical scenes. I'll post a review when I get back!

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. I don't agree about the title however. If I had picked this book up on my own... well let's just say I would NOT have picked this book up on my own. I thought the title was a TOTAL turnoff, did an injustice to the plot, and frankly was embarassing to carry around. Cintrary to my thoughts upon receiving this book,though, it was actually quite amazing. It took me on a great journey and kept me copletely engulfed in the book. I couldn't even pay atteniton at school. Simply enthralling.

Anonymous said...

This was a really great book seriously!
So different and Gah, I loved every minute of it!

Unknown said...

I just got done reading this book and I thought it was so cute! I absolutely loved it! I just wish that there had been more actual romantic (not to be confused with smut, I just mean appropriate) between Lucius and Jessica.

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to read it. and yeah I'm into the supernatral Romance stage...haha. I mean plain old romances are so boring now...haha.

Morgan said...

somebody requested that i read this book. And now maybe i will.

Dating said...

This novel sounds amazing!

Fera said...

I've read it and I like it so much!!! especially the ending xD