Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday: Once Dead Twice Shy by Kim Harrison - Review

The Waiting on Wednesday spot (a post started by Jill at Breaking the Spine) is where we talk about "the" book we cannot wait to get our hands on. This week I'm going to fuse it with a review because I was lucky enough to read an advanced reader copy.

Madison is upset. She was in a car accident on prom night. She was scythed (yes, you did read that correctly) but as she protested her death, she reached out and grabbed the dark reaper’s amulet, not knowing just how important it was. So important, in fact, it means that her soul is left on Earth inside an illusion of a body, so real looking that only the angels know she’s dead. Oh, did I mention that the dark reaper stole her body? He did, and this is how she gets introduced to a world full of angels – guardian angels (absolutely my favorite), time keepers, dark reapers ( who scythe people when the probable future showed they were going to make very, very bad decisions) and light reapers (who try to stop dark reapers and allow people a choice). It’s a complicated world once you’re dead.

Barnabus, a light reaper, is assigned to look after Madison in case the dark reaper tries to come back for his amulet. And Madison tries to go back to her life and Josh, the boy who took her to the prom. Of course she has to find her body, find out about the amulet, and work out what to do now.

A very fun first YA novel from the very talented Kim Harrison. And worth waiting for.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I loved the novella in Prom Nights From Hell and am very happy that she is creating a series from that. This sounds amazing :)

Anonymous said...

I really want to read this book!

Anonymous said...

Really I loved the short story in Prom nights from hell and I literially flipped when I heard about this book. I can't wait to get it! Because I wrote fanfiction on the short story because I really wanted to know what happened...and now I will be able to!