Monday, March 23, 2009

In my Mailbox (5)

In My Mailbox lets you peek into the contents of my mailbox on a weekly basis and see what books I've acquired this week. This all started on the Story Siren's blog, and was inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie, two really great blogs you should check out. I always mean to post this on Sundays, as so many other bloggers do, but I seem to get to it on Monday. Sorry. This week I have an excuse. I was interviewing Laurie Halse Anderson yesterday and she is one of the nicest authors I've had the pleasure of meeting (and yes, I'll post the interview as soon as I can. I also shot video of the Q and A session after her presentation and will post that this week too.)

But now to the books I got this week. Oh, so exciting.

1. Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby
I've been wanting to read this for SO long. Yes, I'm in a bit of a zombie period right now (although that looks so weird as I read it back).
Quiet, unpopular, non-cheerleading Mia is happy. She is dating Rob, a football god Rob, and he actually likes her and asked her to prom! Enter Samantha—cheerleading goddess and miss popularity— who starts making a move for Rob. With prom in a few days, Mia needs to act fast. So she turns to her best friend, Candice, and decides to do a love spell on Rob. Unfortunately, she ends up inflicting a zombie virus onto her whole class, making herself their leader! At first she is flattered that everyone is treating her like a queen. But then zombie hunter Chase explains they are actually fattening her up, because in a few days, Mia will be the first course in their new diet. She’s sure she and Chase can figure something out, but she suggests that no one wear white to prom, because things could get very messy.

2. The Treasure Map of Boys by E. Lockhart
I've become a fan since The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and can't wait to start this
In this companion novel to The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book,Ruby is back at Tate Prep, and it’s her 37th week in the state of Noboyfriend. Her panic attacks are bad, her love life is even worse, and what’s more: Noel is writing her notes, Jackson is giving her frogs, Gideon is helping her cook, and Finn is making her brownies. Rumors are flying, and Ruby’s already-sucky reputation is heading downhill. She’s also: running a bake sale, learning the secrets of heavymetal therapy, encountering some seriously smelly feet, defending the rights of pygmy goats, and bodyguarding Noel from unwanted advances.

3. Castration Celebration by Jake Wizner
Did you read Spanking Shakespeare? If not, you really must. It was one of the funniest books I read last year. Loved, loved, loved it. So again, can't wait
When the girl who’s foresworn men meets the boy who’s devoted himself to picking up women, there’s bound to be drama — perfect for a six-week summer program devoted to the arts. Olivia’s summer goal: to write a musical that censures men with wandering eyes. Max’s summer goal: to hone his acting skills, along with his talent for attracting the ladies. Before camp is over, they’ll perform Olivia’s musical onstage and in real life though the ending may turn out differently than either expects.


4. Marcelo in the Real World
by Francisco X Stork
Now I'm not sure I would have picked this up from the cover (yes, I'm that shallow) but I've been reading your reviews and it looks very, very good.
Marcelo Sandoval hears music no one else can hear--part of the autism--like impairment no doctor has been able to identify--and he's always attended a special school where his differences have been protected. But the summer after his junior year, his father demands that Marcelo work in his law firm's mailroom in order to experience "the real world." There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm. He learns about competition and jealousy, anger and desire. But it's a picture he finds in a file--a picture of a girl with half a face--that truly connects him with the real world: its suffering, its injustice, and what he can do to fight.

So that's what was in my mailbox this week. What about you?

3 comments:

lisa and laura said...

Hi! Great blog! I'm glad I stumbled across it.

The books in your mailbox this week look fabulous. Will you post reviews? I'll definitely be adding a couple of those to my reading list.

This week I'm going to be tackling some non-fiction for research (booorrring) and I also just picked up THE SEASON and THE HUNGER GAMES, two books I've been lusting after for a while.

Bookgeek said...

Lisa and Laura,
Glad you found us. Welcome. Yes, I'll certainly post reviews as soon as I've finished them. And you will love The Hunger Games. I zipped through it and CAN'T WAIT for the sequel. Let me know what you think of both of them.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you mentioned how great Spanking Shakespeare is! It's one of my all time favorites.

Can't wait to read Castration Celebration... I wish I had your job and got early peeks at the books!