Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow


Thinking about it, I wanted to talk about what I think is the best book of the summer--Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Can you imagine what would happen if terrorists blew up the Bay Bridge? Then imagine being a teenager who has skipped school with some friends that day to hunt for clues for an on-line game but who ends up right where the bomb was set. Your friend gets hurt, you flag down a van to get help, but you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and men from the Department of Homeland Security put a bag over your head and take you off for questioning. For five days. When they release you they tell you to tell no one about it (even though one of your friends does not come back). But San Francisco has changed in those five days. And the question is, would you keep quiet and go back to life as usual, despite all the new security measures in place, or do you do something about it? What is freedom worth to you? How much are you willing to give up for security?

This is an amazing book, a page-turner that is almost impossible to put down. I read it in a day. This is Orwell’s 1984 for our time. This is a book for every book group because you really want to talk about the issues it brings up when you’re done. It will make you look at things from a different point of view. Really, if you only read one book this summer, this should be the book. Then let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend raved about Little Brother so naturally I had to pick it up. I too really enjoyed it but thought my father, who loves all forms of technology, would enjoy it even more. In the same breath I gave it also to my cousin, who admittedly is more a jock. Little Brother had the right amount of action in it for him, and he too enjoyed the book. My opinion? This really is the perfect book for all males of high school age and older.

Nancy said...

I had seen this book at a book reading the other night and was curious about it. I am glad that I had read this review. I think this would be perfect for my friend's son, who is always trying to find something for him to read.

Thank you for the review

Book Critic 101 said...

High school level?

I know three MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRLS who read the book and loved it.

HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL???