Sunday, October 4, 2009

In My Mailbox

Again with thanks to the very creative Kristi aka Story Siren and Alea of Pop Culture Junkie, the blogs where this meme started.

This week I have laid my hands on two books, And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer and Positively by Courtney Sheinmel. Both authors have events at Kepler's coming up (Eoin on October 28th and Courtney on November 12th) and I can't wait to hear both of them talk about their books.

And Another Thing by Eoin Colfer
I have been a fan of The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series since I first read them, love the Artemis Fowl series, and thought Eoin was one of the funniest speakers I have ever heard when he spoke at BEA.

Arthur Dent's accidental association with that wholly remarkable book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, has not been entirely without incident. Arthur has traveled the length, breadth, and depth of known, and unknown, space. He has stumbled forward and backward through time. He has been blown up, reassembled, cruelly imprisoned, horribly released, and colorfully insulted more than is strictly necessary. And of course Arthur Dent has comprehensively failed to grasp the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Arthur has finally made it home to Earth, but that does not mean he has escaped his fate. His chances of getting his hands on a decent cup of tea have evaporated rapidly, along with all the world's oceans. For no sooner has he touched down on the planet Earth than he finds out that it is about to be blown up . . . again.

And Another Thing
. . . is the rather unexpected, but very welcome, sixth installment of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. It features a pantheon of unemployed gods, everyone's favorite renegade Galactic President, a lovestruck green alien, an irritating computer, and at least one very large slab of cheese.

Positively by Courtney Sheinmel
I really enjoyed Courtney's first book, My So-Called Family, and had the pleasure of meeting her also at BEA

Emerson Price cannot remember a time when life was ordinary. She was four years old when she and her mom were diagnosed as HIV-positive and eight when her parents divorced. Now she is thirteen and her mother is dead.

When Emmy's dad and stepmother send her to Camp Positive, a camp for HIV-positive girls, Emmy is certain she is going to hate it. But soon she realizes that she is not so alone after all -- and that sometimes letting other people in can make all the difference in the world. This is an unforgettable novel about strength and hope in the face of tragedy.

So what are you reading this week?

8 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait to read "Positively." It's on hold at my library, but it looks so good. And seeing it on your IMM just makes me want it more.

Happy reading!

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I really enjoyed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, though I never read the rest of the series. I might have to now!

Tere Kirkland said...

I admit I was a little skeptical when I heard about And Another Thing... but Colfer is a great storyteller, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the review!

Bookgeek said...

I was skeptical too when I first heard about it - I didn't think anyone could follow in Adams' footsteps. But Colfer is exactly the right choice - and so far, it's very very good.

Megan Kurashige said...

As you know, I'm SO EXCITED about AND ANOTHER THING that it's positively indecent.

Lovely to see you yesterday! Are you coming to any other events soon?

Bookgeek said...

Great to see you too, Megan. Yes, I'll be at Diva Night, Angie Sage, Jeff Kinney, Scott Westerfeld, Lucienne Diver, AS Byatt, and Eoin. Many events this month. You?

Megan Kurashige said...

I'll be there tomorrow, Angie Sage, and Eoin for sure... Maybe A. S. Byatt as well. I am curious to meet her.

Am mostly just nervous about the possible madness of the Dawkins tomorrow... Dreading the number of chairs I'm going to have to haul around!

Bookgeek said...

I'll be there for the setting up of Dawkins too and am equally nervous. I'll also be exhausted because I'll have been there all day (otherwise I'd stay to hear Dawkins, who is brilliant). But at least there will be food at Diva Night!