Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hunger Games Movie

Like all of you, I LOVE The Hunger Games. And have wondered how they are going to make it into a movie, stay true to the story yet keep it PG-13. But today Entertainment Weekly asked another question:
Is Rue black? And should race matter when you're casting the movie?
Click here for original article.

So far eveyone is talking about who will play Katniss but what about Rue? She's the youngest tribute (12 years old) in the 74th Hunger Games, and would be a difficult role for anyone to play. But apparently Rue is clearly described as having “satiny brown skin” on page 98. (Er hem, I have to admit I didn’t know that Rue and Thresh were black. I raced through the book and seemed to fly past a lot of detail. Eeek - what else did I miss? Must go back before Suzanne Collins visits us.) But now the details are important when casting the movie.

So Entertainment Weekly asks the question: how important do you think this is? It wouldn't alter the structure of the book or movie but it would be so much better to include diversity, especially as it is in the book. What do you think? Will you be offended? Let me know.

No comments: