Monday, June 22, 2009

In My Mailbox

I'm a bit late this week but it's that time again when I get to talk about the books I acquired this week and how excited I am to read them. And I'm always excited about the new books I get. Again thanks to the very creative Story Siren and Alea of Pop Culture Junkie, the blogs where this meme started. And now to the books.

1. Liar by Justine Larbalestier
Micah freely admits that she’s a compulsive liar. And that may be the one honest thing she’ll ever tell you. Over the years she’s duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents. But when her boyfriend, Zach, dies under brutal circumstances, the shock might be enough to set her straight. Or maybe not. Especially when lying comes as naturally to her as breathing. Was Micah dating Zach? Or was Sarah his real girlfriend? And are the stories Micah tells about inheriting a “family gene” real or are they something that only exists in her mind?

I was a huge fan of Justine's Magic or Madness series but didn't like How To Ditch Your Fairy much at all. So I'm very interested in this one (even though I usually have a one strike and you're out rule!)

2. So Punk Rock or other ways to disappoint your mother by Micol Ostow
Despite his dreams of hipster rock glory, Ari Abramson's band, the Tribe, is more white bread than indie-cred. Made up of four suburban teens from a wealthy Jewish school, their Mötley Crüe is about as hardcore as SAT prep and scripture studies.

But after a one-song gig at a friend's Bar Mitzvah — a ska cover of "Hava Nagilah"—the Tribe's popularity erupts overnight. Now, Ari is forced to navigate a minefield of inflated egos, misplaced romance, and the shallowness of indie-rock elitism. It's a hard lesson in the complex art of playing it cool.

This one looks very funny...

3. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Graham Smith
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

I've been wanting to read this since I first heard about it. How much better can it get? My favorite book...with zombies!

4. Bliss by Lauren Myracle
When Bliss’s hippie parents leave the commune and dump her at the home of her aloof grandmother in a tony Atlanta neighborhood, it’s like being set down on an alien planet. The only guide naive Bliss has to her new environment is what she’s seen on The Andy Griffith Show. But Mayberry is poor preparation for Crestview Academy, an elite school where the tensions of the present and the dark secrets of the past threaten to simmer into violence. Openhearted Bliss desperately wants new friends, making her the perfect prey of a troubled girl whose obsession with a long-ago death puts Bliss, and anyone she’s kind to, in mortal danger.

That's my week - what was in your mail box this week? I'm just finishing up Strange Angels by Lili St Crow and then on to one of these. Have to say it's bound to be P&P&Zombies...

3 comments:

Rhiannon Hart said...

I read a review of Liar this week and I have to say, WANT! Also P&P&Z. Hilarious. Have fun with these!

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

My mum beat me to buying P&P&Z so I'm anxiously waiting for her to read it so I can steal it. Enjoy your books!

Debbie's World of Books said...

I have P&P&Z in my TBR pile. P&P is my all time favorite book so I'm interested to see how this one is.